In June 1924, State College (now NC State University) established General Extension to offer correspondence courses and develop closer ties to industry and business. By the 1930s, its extension, correspondence, reading, and short courses served a student body representing every county in the state of NC, a majority of U.S. states, and several foreign countries. In 1965, College Extension was re-named the Division of Continuing Education. In 1971, the State legislature appropriated $4.25 million, to join the $100,000 in ?butter and egg money? raised by home demonstration women, for construction of the McKimmon Center--named for Dr. Jane S. McKimmon, a proponent of continuing education and state director of the women's division of the Farmers Institutes from 1908-1911. Construction began in late 1973; was completed in 1976. In 1981, a 14,500 square foot addition was added.
Today, MCE&CE is comprised of eight units that reflect the ever-growing demand for continuing education and the needs of the people it serves?the Center for Urban Affairs & Community Services, Customized Contractual Education, McKimmon Conference & Training Center, Office of Professional Development, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, Technology Training Solutions, The Collaborative at the Gateway Technology Center, and the Upper Coastal Plain Learning Council.